Uppperclassmen Scholarship FAQs
Q: Do I have to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to receive a scholarship?
A: The FAFSA is required for need-based scholarships.
Q: How is the scholarship award determined?
A: Applications are evaluated based on completeness, required GPA, and if the student meets and completes all of the scholarship requirements. Students should submit a complete application that demonstrates why they deserve to receive a scholarship. Every attempt is made to match students with the specific requirement for a scholarship fund. Students may be awarded a scholarship for which they did not specifically apply.
Q: Can I apply for more than one scholarship?
A: Students may apply for as many scholarships for which they meet the eligibility requirements.
Q: Will a scholarship affect my other financial aid awards?
A: Students who are receiving federal, state or institutional need-based financial aid may have their financial aid awards reduced with the addition of a scholarship (total aid cannot exceed financial need and the cost of attendance at Kettering University).
Q: What happens if I do not attend Kettering University for a semester that I was awarded a scholarship?
A: The scholarship will be cancelled for the semester awarded. The scholarship can only be used during the academic year that it was awarded.
Endowment Thank You Letters
If you are awarded an endowed scholarship please use these guidelines when writing your letter to share a little bit about yourself and to express your thanks directly to the people who made these funds possible.
Be sure to include in your letter:
- Your thanks and what this scholarship means to you
- Your grade level and your major
- Where you currently work
- Where you are from, where you grew up, what high school you attended
- What inspired you to attend Kettering University
You could also include:
- Work project/experience that you think was particularly interesting
- Your family information (brothers, sisters)
- Activities, hobbies, interests and anything else you’d like to include
Please use this format:
- Letter should fit on one side of a 8 ½ x 11 paper
- 1” margins around
- Times New Roman font
- Font size 12
- At least 3 paragraphs - in block format
- Include your typed name, but no signature
- Do not include contact information such as address, phone number, special letterhead, etc.
- Copy and paste your picture toward the bottom of the letter, below your typed signature – approximate size 3” x 2”
Thank You Letter Template
Send your letter and a good photo of yourself to email@example.com