What's New? - Archive of Past Notices
- See (Calendar) Year End Payroll/Tax Information for changes to Michigan's income tax withholding, effective October 1, 2012
- Have questions about what you should include on a Funds or Materials Request? We've a link for that!
- The Business Office has partnered with peerTransfer to streamline the tuition payment process for our international students. See Information for Students - Resources.
- NBS/FACTS e-Cashier now accepts undergraduate miscellaneous payments via ACH transactions
- Have questions about vendors' proper insurance coverages? We've a link to that! (See also Purchase Order Terms and Conditions)
- The Meal Plan Contract is now available online - there's a link to that from our Forms page
- The Undergraduate students' 2013 NBS/FACTS brochure is now available
- Wondering what expense account code to use? We've a link to help you with that!
- We welcome our new vice president to campus
- We've included the Exchange Student Enrollment Fee in the Tuition and Fees page
- Have questions about the Graduate Payment Plan 2012-13 tuition rates/enrollment deadlines?
- The Student ID Card Replacement Fee during the 2012-13 academic year drops to $10 - see Tuition and Fees
- The Journal Voucher (JV) is now available on our Forms page
- Tuition & Fees are posted for the 2012-13 academic year (with links to the catalogs)
- NEW Nelnet/FACTS On-Line Automatic Payment Plan and One-Time Payment in Full Options - see Announcement for additional information
- The Payroll Tax Holiday reducing FICA to our current rate of 4.2% has been extended through December 31, 2012 - see Calendar Year End Payroll/Tax Information
- We're saving trees! Student invoices have been revamped, and effective with this February 2012 mid-term student billings, Student Accounts now e-mails notices to the students' Kettering e-mail address when invoices are available on Banner Web/Self Service.
- Save a tree! Purchase Orders sport a revamped format and Purchasing now e-mails the file copy to the contact person from the originating department. The Purchase Order Terms and Conditions, previously printed on the reverse of the POs, is linked to and can be viewed on the Business Office Web at Departments - Purchasing - Purchase Order Terms and Conditions.
- Domestic Undergraduate Student Late Fee Policy Approved, Effective July 1, 2012
All tuition and fees are due by the beginning of each academic term. Payment in full or formal payment arrangements (financial aid deferments and/or enrollment into the NBS/FACTS e-Cashier Payment Plan) of the total balance due must be made by 4 p.m. fourth week Friday of each academic term to avoid assessment of a $300.00 late payment penalty. Transcripts, diplomas or other statements of record will be withheld and students will be ineligible to register and/or continue to be registered in future terms until their financial obligations have been fulfilled.
- Upcoming changes in student refund rates policy, effective July 1, 2012 - see Tuition & Fees
- We've added verbiage to the Funds or Materials Request and Employee Travel/Expense Report to request index number and expense account code, and a check box to confirm funds availability
- We've added new e-mail alias email@example.com to our Contact List page for questions related to budgets!
- Have questions about how we process, store or transmit credit card information to maintain a secure environment? There's a link for that within our Policies/Resources!
- The Financial Information page now contains the most current three years of audited financials
- The Mobile Communication Device Policy provides a taxable allowance for employees required to carry devices.
- Changes to the NBS/FACTS e-Cashier Payment Plan for Undergraduate Students - expanded monthly payment options while eliminating the enrollment fee and down payment.
- New to campus? Banking Information has the updated scoop on ATMs, links to local banks and Cashier's Office.
- Have questions about gift policies and procedures? There's a link for that within our Policies/Resources!
- NBS eliminates enrollment fee from NBS/FACTS e-Cashier Payment Plan for Graduate Students.
Undergraduate students' 2012 Nelnet Business Solutions (NBS)/FACTS brochure is now available
- The Business Office Informs ... in 20 minutes or less! - If you missed the Professional Development Fair session, it's available in its entirety on Blackboard (requires LDAP ID and password).
- Employee Travel Policy - Mileage Reimbursement Allowance (Notice posted June 23, 2011)
For Kettering-related business travel occurring on or after July 1, 2011, the revised mileage rate is 55.5 cents/mile.
- Nelnet Business Solutions (NBS) no longer accepts the hard copy FACTS Automatic Tuition Payment Agreement form. Undergrad students may enroll online from our e-Cashier page.
- What's the difference between blue- and red-tagged items? Check the Capital - Maintenance - Repair Policy.
- Questions about Payroll deadlines? See the 2012 calendars at Business Office - Departments - Payroll or within our Policies / Resources page
- Clarifications to the Meal Plan Contract, mandatory for new students (entering class and transfers for 2 terms) - see Forms
- Checked out Kettering's net price calculator yet? It calculates your cost of attendance (tuition and fees less financial aid) and its link is included within the Business Office pages for your convenience. If you’ve any questions once you’ve sampled it, please contact your financial aid representative directly, call 1-800-955-4464 x7859, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How will the Tax Relief Act affect your pay? Read our Year End Tax page for updates!
- Electronic W-2 - consent to receive your W-2 Form electronically by 8:00 a.m. EST on January 20, 2012
- Have Calendar Year-End questions? Our Calendar Year End Tax page includes 2011/2012 information
- Change in Business Office Hours of Operation (Notice posted July 9, 2010)
Effective with the start of the new term on July 12, 2010, the Business Office changed its hours of operations. The Cashier's Office is open on Mondays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the Student Accounts office is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Hours are reduced during holiday and zero-sections and notices of reduced hours are posted well in advance (see Business Office - Departments - Cashier's Office).
- Traveling internationally on business? The International Travel form now includes required Export Control information (see Business Office - Forms - Travel - International Travel and Export Control)
- The Travel Policy reflects Superior's processing fee increase for international flights from $40 to $50
- Three new gift accounting forms to assist in processing gifts, pledges, and solicitations - see the Forms page
- We've undergone a street name change - still in transition with a number of electronic mapping services
- The IRS has announced a new "one-stop" location for higher education tax information - see the Resources section within our Policies/Resources page
- Questions regarding when you're required to pay Sales and Use taxes? See Internet Purchases in Policies/Resources
- Departmental Bookstore purchases should reflect business purpose (Notice posted April 1, 2009) - see memo on Blackboard (requires LDAP ID and password).
- The Identity Theft Prevention Program ensures Kettering is in compliance with the Federal Trade Commission's Red Flags Rule - see Policies/Resources
- The Fundraising Event Request and Endowment Request forms are now available online - see Forms
- We've updated the Gifts, Prizes or Awards Recipient Information form to include type and purpose of award - see Forms
- The Authorization Agreement for Automatic/Direct Deposits is now available online - see Forms
- Airline Travel (Notice posted December 9, 2008)
All airline travel valued $5,000 or greater must be approved by a vice president prior to purchasing the ticket(s). If the quoted price exceeds this amount, ask to have the reservation held (ticket reservations can be held for 24-48 hours but the price may fluctuate) and contact Kathy Goodrich at ext. 9794 for travel accounting. Kathy will contact the appropriate vice president for authorization and will notify the designated travel agency and traveler once written approval has been secured. Please note: Our designated travel agency, Superior Travel, will not purchase the ticket(s) until approval is provided by travel accounting.
- We've added our fax numbers to the Contact List
- Employee Travel Policy - Voluntary Wage Assignments (Notice posted July 8, 2008)
In order to receive advances for Kettering-related business travel you must sign a Kettering University Voluntary Wage Assignments form, available from the Business Office Web - Forms, Cashier's Office, and Student Accounts. This agreement will remain in effect throughout your employment with Kettering University.
- Capital-Maintenance-Repair increases substantial expenditures definition to those in excess of $50,000 - see Policies/Resources
- The MVR Authorization - MI form's been updated to include the Contact Person as an alternate distribution - see Forms
- Who Ya Gonna Pay?! - the difference between Honoraria, Independent Contractor, and Infrequent Personal Service Providers - see Policies/Resources
- We're partnering with Commerce Bank for the Purchasing Card Program, and the user manual is available online - see Policies/Resources
- We now have a corporate account with Hertz - see the Travel Policy
- Illegible signatures delay processing (Notice posted September 18, 2007)
Please make certain your signature is legible (or else print your name below) on all documents you are authorizing on behalf of Kettering University. This includes Funds or Materials Requests, invoice approvals, memos requesting transfers, etc. In the event that we are unable to identify the signature, the document will be returned to the originating department and will result in a delay in processing. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Looking for financial information pertaining to the University's operation? You've come to the right place!
- The Gifts, Prizes and Awards Policy and Gifts, Prizes or Awards Recipient Information forms are available online - see Forms
- The Travel Policy reflects the new Enterprise corporate account number
- The Request for Equipment Acquisition from Donor and Request for Storage or Equipment Release are available online - see Forms
- The Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) Authorization - State of Michigan is available online - see Forms
- Our local Bank One is now Chase Bank - see Local Banking Information
- Undergraduate students may use Nelnet Business Solutions (NBS)/FACTS e-Cashier to make credit card payments for incidental items
- Added two links to help determine specific requirements for travel outside the United States - see the Travel Policy
- Required documentation for Employee Travel Reports and On-Campus Catered Events
Change in Operational Policies and Procedures (Notice posted November 8, 2004)
The following documentation and information is required for the processing of travel reimbursements and on-campus catered events, effective December 1, 2004 (Failure to provide this documentation or information may result in a delay of reimbursement or payment. If you have any questions, contact Kathy Goodrich at ext. 9794.):
Employee Travel Reports
In addition to the airline ticket or receipt of payment for air travel, those traveling on Kettering University business must include a flight itinerary including departure and arrival times with reimbursement requests for airline travel (Exception: If you purchased a ticket from Superior Travel and cannot locate the flight itinerary, note it on your travel report and we will secure a copy of it for you).
On-Campus Catered Events
Include name of group/organization or attendees and purpose of catered event with request for payment (i.e., catering function form, Kettering Funds or Materials Request form, vendor's invoice, etc.).
- Questions regarding fiscal year-end procedures or deadlines?
- Our Calendar Year End Tax page includes links to W4 forms
- Michigan Sales Tax Exemption update - see Policies/Resources
- To do, or not to do - "hard copy" receiving (Notice posted March 24, 2004)
The Operational Services Department and Business Office no longer require "hard copy" receiving for goods and services ordered against E-XXXXX blanket purchase orders (but yes, still do need receiving for all PXXXXXXX Banner-generated purchase orders). Any questions, contact Kathy Goodrich at ext. 9794.
- Michigan Sales Tax Exemption (Notice posted March 24, 2004)
Kettering University must discontinue the practice of allowing students, faculty and staff to submit its Michigan Sales Tax Exemption Certificate to businesses when these individuals make payments with cash, personal checks, or personal credit cards for purchases on behalf of the University.
The decision to discontinue this practice is based on the State of Michigan Department of Treasury Sales and Use Tax Rule, 1979, AC, R.205.74 which states, "In all instances, to be exempt the consideration for the purchase must move directly from the funds of the exempt nonprofit organization." Therefore, a transaction whereby an individual from the organization makes payment with cash, personal check, or personal credit card is subject to tax even though the individual may later be reimbursed by the exempt organization.
- Expanded FAQ section includes Purchase Order, Funds or Materials Requests, Checks, and Employee Travel Reports information
- Airlines initiate restrictions for using unused refundable tickets -Effective September 1, 2002, any unused refundable ticket must be reissued before the original travel date. Failure to do so will result in the loss of the value of the ticket. Any questions, contact Kathy Goodrich at ext. 9794.
- The Cashier office closed operations March 21, 2013 - see Cashier Services, an extension of the Student Accounts office.
- Nelnet Business Solutions (NBS)/FACTS Management Company now accepts Visa Credit Card